CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Stormy

Our Bunny


This is a picture of our pet bunny, Stormy Herman Bun-bun. My daughter Sadie named him. She liked Stormy because of his gray color, and because we found him on a windy, stormy night, Herman is after a brave mouse in a book she had just finished reading, and bun-bun is because that is what I called him until she had picked a name.

The story of how we found the little cutie is pretty funny considering Sadie had been begging me for a bunny for the longest time because her cousins have rabbits and she loves them. It was 10 o'clock at night in early fall and a friend was bringing me home from a nice relaxing evening at Starbucks. We were driving down a busy street when we saw what looked at first like a giant squirrel. After a moment of shock we realized it was a bunny, quite out of place in the middle of our downtown. This was no wild little bunny but rather a big, soft, adorable, cold and matted bunny. We pulled a u-turn and went back to wear it had just miraculously crossed the busy road. We jumped out of the car and found the rabbit in the bushes. It hopped out and came right to me as I leaned down to it. Obviously domestic, hungry and in need of a good home, we brought it back to my house, fed it some veggies, gave it a drink of water and helped it get dry. That same night I ran over to my nieces to pick up a spare cage she had, as well as some food, hay and a water bottle. When I got him home again and settled down, I couldn't help but wake up Sadie and show her our cuddly new friend. She was so excited she thought it had been a dream until she woke in the morning and saw him still snuggled in the cage next to her bed.

I have been very impressed with how responsible Sadie has been with our new pet. Sadie does a great job of taking care of Stormy. She feeds him, refills his water bottle, makes sure he has lots of hay and loves to give him healthy treats. Although she is great at those tasks, I still clean out the cage and I can't wait until she can take over that duty.

He is such a sweet little bunny. Everyone in the family just loves him, including my husband who will never admit it out loud. Stormy hops right to you when you open the cage and he loves to hop around the house looking for the perfect cozy place to make his nap nest. He loves cozy little places like under the boys tool bench or up in the doll bed. He is so good at finding these cozy spots that the kids have made a game out of playing hide and seek with the bunny when he is out of his cage. I'm not sure bun-bun finds it a fun game, but the kids sure do. I'm thankful for this sweet little surprise that joined or family on a stormy night.

1 comments:

Samantha Seholm said...

I love your bunny it is so super sweet.