CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 12, 2007

Balto

This is my puppy dog, Baltimoore Rain, or Balto for short. Complicated name for a dog, with a complicated history. His breeder called him Puppy Moore, then sold him to his first owner who named him November Rain, she had him only a short time before she moved out of country and couldn't take him. She sold him to a different breeder, where he lived for a short while and was renamed Balto after the famous dog the movie was made about. Then I got him as a highschool graduation present. He was about 9 months old and so very sweet. He was a little name confused so i didn't want to change his name again but instead decided to incorporate all his names into one.

I couldn't have asked for a sweeter or smarter puppy dog. He already knew many cute tricks like prancing, shaking hands, sitting, snd laying down. He picked up singing and dancing pretty quickly too. He was my only baby for the first five years of his life. He is very protective of me and a good judge of character. Most loyal dog I know. If I was sick he would come lay his head at my feet and not budge until I felt better. When I got pregnant with my first child he knew something was up. He kept jumping up to sit on my lap... which was quickly disappearing with a big ol belly full of baby. When in my last month of pregnancy the lap was too short for him to sit on he jumped up on my shoulder and put his paws on my stomache. Quite the rediculous site considering he is no small dog. This husky weighs near 50 pounds.

Perhaps he knew that life was about to change for him with the birth of this baby. Everyone warned us about having a dog...especially a wild eyed husky that looked unpredictable. But he was really so mild tempered and easy going he made the perfect pet. I took a little test that was supposed to show if he would be safe with kids who would be pulling his tail and grabbing his fur... he didn't snap, bite or even bark, and passed the test with flying colors. The real test of course was bringing baby home. He passed that with flying colors too, protecting Sadie the same way he did me. As she grew and fell in love with him, they became good buddies. He especially loved the snacks that dropped from her high chair. As time passed and our family grew from 3 to 4 to 6 people,the time allotted for Balto's walks grew short and we all felt guilty we couldn't give as much attention as he needed. We thought about finding a new home for him but no one responded to our ad that met our requirements. The perfect fit couldn't be found, and we really couldn't bear to part with him. This sweet dog was still the puppy I loved and babied.
Even now at ten years old, he still thinks he is a little puppy and has the energy of one too. Thank goodness for his guardian angel. Over a year ago Balto got out of the yard and of course was on the run like any pack dog would be. When we came home and found him gone we were devasted, especially my daughter. But he had run all the way across town and was found by his guardian angel who fed him and groomed him and took care of him. Luckily we got ahold of her and were reunited with our sweet pup. He had touched her heart too though and to this day she still comes and takes him on walks or retreats to her house. She spoils him rotten and it is perfect for us because she has the energy to take him on the runs that I just can't with four kids.

I'm blessed to have such a great dog, and even more blessed to have someone who loves him as I do and can help give him the attention that he deserves.

0 comments: